Structure Fire at 571 Graf Road in City of Graf
By Chief Thomas Berger
August 18, 2017

On August 18, 2017 at 01:20 a.m. the Epworth Fire Department responded to a report of a garage fire attached to a house at 571 Graf Road in the city of Graf. Upon arrival, firefighters found a garage fully involved with fire extending into the residence. Two vehicles in the driveway were also involved in fire. The duplex residence is occupied by Bryan Moreland and is owned by Mark and Theresa Merkes. All occupants were able to escape without any injuries. Mutual aid assistance was provided by the Centralia/Peosta Fire Department and the Asbury Fire Department tankers. Firefighters remained on the scene for over three hours checking for hot spots. The garage is considered a total loss and there is extensive fire damage to the adjoining living area. The other side of the duplex has light smoke damage. Damage is estimated $100,000. The Epworth Fire Department was also assisted at the scene by the Dubuque County Sheriff’s Office and Maquoketa Valley REC. The fire originated in the garage area has been ruled accidental. There was no damage to any nearby structures and no injuries reported.

Units: Engines 701 and 702, Tanker 735, Command 774 and 777, Medic 752
Mutual Aid: Centralia/Peosta Fire 433 and Asbury Fire 133